Observa (aka The 33 Project)

I was tidying up my portfolio and notes the other day...clearing the way for the next big phase (which is me getting back to gainful employment after maternity leave) when I came across my notes for the "33 Project". This is a personal project and a book idea which I never completed. I got as far as writing the outline and making a mock-up but didn't pursue it further. I thought I ought to at least document the ideas in my Blog - the best place for this project to live until I have the right time and space to look at it again.

The next few posts will be a series of topic headings and ideas from this project. The following is the introduction I wrote to the book:

Opening Thought
As an individual and as a designer, I am fascinated by the theme of things either being 'natural' or 'by design'. I am interested in the friction between the manmade and the natural worlds and the beauty or failure in both natural and man made 'design'. I am also fascinated by the continuing march of scientifc discovery in the face of what we understand to be natural and human.

The ethics of science in the age of cloning and the death of concepts like the soul are equally fascinating and complex. These issues form the core of who we are and how we perceive ourselves as humans at this stage in our history.

The wisest of us know that we do not know the answers....and that we will only be blessed with a fragment of knowledge in one lifetime and most of that according to the precepts of our age.

Summary
Then: " Art is made to disturb. Science reassures." Georges Braque
Now: Science is disturbing and Art is consumed by commerce. Only the enduring geometry of nature still reassures.

Comments